A popular event which was held there each September was the Fruit Tournament,
at which large crates of the locally-grown fruit were offered as prizes.
This drew so many entries that they were obliged to use the Church and
Beach greens as well.
Bowling in Grimsby came to a standstill during the Second World War and
green maintenance was neglected. It was revived in 1947, and records show
that the Ladies Section was first proposed in December of 1949. The downtown
greens remained in use until the property was sold to developers and became
the parking lot for a Zellers store.
At this point, the Grimsby bowlers joined the Beamsville Club until greens
were built next to the Grimsby Curling Club in 1962.
Eventually, the Club approached the Town of Grimsby for the provision of
land for Lawn Bowling Green. Located adjacent to the Senior's Centre on
Livingston Avenue, it was officially opened in September of 1976. The maintenance
is provided for through club dues and fund-raising events. Currently there is a
healthy membership, fairly equally represented by both genders,
and teams are often a combination of male & female players.